The Amazon Affiliate program is an excellent way to add extra money making opportunities to your endeavor as you get more comfortable using your website. Many people decide not use the Affiliate program due to the low commissions, which start at 4%, with the median amount being 8% for most products sold on Amazon. This can be a problem since low-priced items like books aren’t going to add up to a worthwhile commission. However, with the right attitude and some patience, you could be on your way to adding income from your website traffic!
How to become an Amazon Affiliate:
- Log in to the Amazon Associates area. You can find this at the bottom of the page at Amazon.com, under the “Make Money with Us” section. if you already have an amazon account, log in with those credentials. Otherwise, create an amazon account.
- Submit your details. It is a long form, but an intuitive process. Personal details include your name, address, and other details that are necessary for any online signup. Then, amazon wants your website details. You select what types of items you would like listed on your site, the topics you cover, and the type of traffic your site receives.
- Verify your identity. Enter your telephone number when prompted and select the call me now option to receive a pin to activate your account.
- Select your payment preferences. You can be paid by Amazon Gift Card, direct deposit for US associates, or a check mailed to your location. If you are an international associate, the $15 dollar check processing fee will be waived.
- Submit your tax information. Doing so ensures that your earnings from being an Amazon Affiliate will be reported correctly to the IRS. It gives you the option to do it later, but your best bet is to finish all steps while you are thinking of the program.
- You now are an Affiliate! Once you have completed the above steps, you will have access to the affiliate links Amazon provides. Amazon now has a policy that it will review your account once you have made your first referral, so make sure to start quickly!
Once you become more familiar with the system, you will have an easier time creating promotions for affiliate links and helping to align affiliate content with the products and content you are already creating. Usually, links to Amazon from within your blog posts are going to be the most successful in bringing in revenue. Down the line, also consider creating content that will help put your reader’s in a buying mood. Consider dedicating a space on your site for reviews of products relating to your content and personal suggestions on products that have worked for you in your related field. This will help guide your user’s to new products and get them in the mood to purchase the products you have discussed and suggested. Remember to always be honest in your reviews and suggestions, though. Make sure you have knowledge of a product before you promote it and make sure that your reader’s like the product before keeping it up on your site.