Making a website can seem like a daunting task, but if you keep the following these three easy steps, you will be well on your way to a fruitful online presence.
Choosing the platform where you would like to build your site is the first step. You wouldn’t want to create a site and realize the platform doesn’t provide you with the correct services for your specific goal! Certain platforms will require knowledge of HTML/CSS or other coding languages, so make sure that you factor your website building abilities to your decision. As a beginner, WordPress is usually the most helpful and straightforward hosting platform. While Drupal and Joomla are also excellent web-hosting options, WordPress is the winner if you are just starting out in your website creation.
Why WordPress is a Winner:
- Newbie Friendly: The WordPress platform is amazingly easy to use. If you know how to use standard Microsoft programs like Word or Excel, you will probably be able to publish your own content without a problem.
- Powerful: WordPress is a machine when it comes to handling many different websites. It is trusted by many of the busiest websites in the world and can handle just about anything thrown at it.
- Responsive: Mobile viewing is a large part of website design nowadays. With so many people viewing sites on their phones, it is important to have a site that can work with these devices. Themes with WordPress are responsive to mobile devices as a standard feature.
- FREE: As we will explain below, you will want to buy your domain name and web-hosting if you are serious about your website, but WordPress is provides you will standard ones for free, as well.
- Helpful Community: WordPress has created an amazing community of developers for its site. If you get stuck, reach out and they will be quick to respond with suggestions.
Naming your creation and finding a host are next on your to-do-list when creating a website. While hosting your website on WordPress is free and gives you a free domain name, the hosting is slow. If you are looking to drum up business from all this work, you are going to want to spend a bit of money to ensure that your site gets noticed. Hosting will usually cost between $3-$5 dollars per month, which is nothing when you think about how much this service will help bring traffic to your site. Bluehost is a great option because it includes a free domain name along with reliable hosting, site building tools, and an email address that will be assigned to your domain name for easy communication.
When choosing a domain name, be sure to make it catchy, unique, easy to remember, and most importantly RELATED TO THE PURPOSE OF YOUR SITE. We have faith in your creative abilities- make it fit you and your business! Once the domain and hosting have been set-up, all that is left to do is ensure that WordPress is installed. With Bluehost, all you need to do is click the “1-click-installation” on your control panel. Other hosting platforms should also have any easy option. While it is possible to do a manual installation, if your web host doesn’t provide an easy option, I would suggest switching to another.
Finally, don’t skimp on the professional touches when setting up your WordPress. When WordPress is installed on your web host, it defaults to the Twenty Fifteen theme. While simple and clean, you will want to find a theme that fits the purpose of your site, as well as your personality. Play around with the options and see which ones you like best. On the WordPress Dashboard, you will find plenty of free themes under the appearance tab. If you want to get even fancier, you can use the “Feature Filter” to help narrow down your best options. Sometimes, the free themes will be all you need, other times- it is going to be important that you also check out the premium themes to make sure your site looks its best. The most important thing is to ensure the website works for you.
Finishing touches to remember:
- A theme that works for you! Choose narrow down your required features to determine if a free or premium one is right for you.
- Additional Pages to help segment your information (About Us, Product Pages, etc.) You can then add these pages to your navigation bar on your site by going to the Menu settings and adding them the header menu.
- Plugins add extra features, usability, and tools. These are what you will need if you are creating an online shop!
The basics are now covered, so all you need to do is go forth and run a website that works for you and your business. Play around with your ideas and creativity and watch your idea flourish!